This is a two part series about foods that boost fertility in females and males. In part 2 we look at foods that apply most specifically to male fertility (although many of the foods that made our list are beneficial for everyone!)
Top 6 Super Foods to Improve Male Fertility
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc and essential fatty acids, which aid in male fertility. Eating one-fourth to half cup of pumpkin seeds a day can be a great way to boost the reproductive system. Zinc is often considered to be the most important fertility nutrient as it has been shown to help with both healthy sperm and egg production
- Oily Fish: Rich in essential fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6, the oil of shellfish, salmon, mackerel, and sardines has an excellent effect on sperm count. These oils not only enhance the quality and mobility of sperm and regulate reproductive health, they also help to improve blood flow. Flaxseed oil is a good alternative for those who don’t eat fish.
- Oysters: While their reputation as an aphrodisiac certainly doesn’t hurt, oysters also boost fertility with their high zinc content. If you can’t stand the taste, other zinc rich products like baked beans, eggs, and nuts should also be added as supplement in your diet everyday.
- Honey: Considered by many to be a fertility boosting super food, the rich content of minerals and amino acids in honey make it extremely beneficial to both the male and female reproductive systems.
- Garlic: While it may not help the quality of your kisses, garlic contains an abundance of fertility boosting nutrients. It’s a great source of the mineral selenium which is thought to enhance male fertility and help prevent the chromosome breakage that may play a role in early miscarriage. Garlic also contains vitamin B6 which helps to regulate hormones and strengthens the immune system.
- Avocado: This one is for everybody! A great source of vitamin E, avocados are a huge fertility booster. Rich with powerful antioxidants, it improves the viability of sperm and helps to regulate both ovulation and the production of cervical mucus. It is also an excellent source of unsaturated fats which are essential for healthy hormone functioning. Alternatives to avocado include olive, grape seed and walnut oil.
Apart from the foods mentioned in parts 1 and 2, a healthy diet, regular exercise, and drinking lots of water to be properly hydrated will help with conception and support an overall healthy lifestyle. Combine these fertility super foods with your daily diet to enjoy their fertility boosting impact, as well as the tasty additions they will make to your meals…and desserts!