This is a two part series about foods that boost fertility in females and males. In part 1 we look at foods that apply most specifically to female fertility (although many of the foods that made our list are beneficial for everyone!)
There are actions we can take right at home that can aid fertility, and some of the easiest and most important, occur right in the kitchen. Choosing the right foods can improve fertility in males and females in addition to supporting overall health. And don’t think that in order to have a healthy, fertility boosting diet you need to limit yourself to bland or boring food choices. Ice cream makes the list! (As if you needed an excuse…)
Top 7 Super Foods to Improve Female Fertility
- Whole Grains: The complex carbohydrates found in whole grains aid in pregnancy and fertility by helping to maintain blood sugar and insulin levels. Whole grains such as oats, brown rice, whole wheat and quinoa also contain lots of B and E vitamins that are essential for cellular reproduction, hormonal balance and the production of healthy ova and sperm.
- Protein: Eating a high protein diet aids in fertility since proteins are a rich source of amino acids, which are the building blocks for muscles and reproductive eggs. Lean red meat is also a great source of iron which helps to prevent anaemia, and decreases the risk of ovulatory infertility and plays a role in the production and function of red blood cells. Red meat is also a good source of vitamin B12 which is essential in the maintenance and development of the nervous system. But make sure to include plant proteins like beans, peas and peanuts in your diet and keep red meat and poultry in moderation.
- Full-fat dairy products: That’s right folks, ice cream can help fertility! Full fat yogurt, whole milk and full fat ice creams can actually help in ovulation. Research has found that women who eat at least one portion of full fat dairy a day are significantly less likely to suffer from fertility problems that those who consistently go for low fat or non dairy options. Dairy products also contain calcium, which is an important nutrient for fertility and is essential in the development and maintenance of the nervous system, bones and blood. So don’t feel guilty about enjoying that scoop of ice cream! Just be careful not to overdo it–moderation is key.
- Yams and berries: Yams actually may contain an ovulation stimulating substance and are rich in important vitamins that are vital for fertility. Berries, such as raspberries and blueberries, are loaded with antioxidants that protect the body from cell damaging and ageing which also include your egg cells.
- Chillies: These increase the flow of blood around the body, ensuring that the reproductive system gets a healthy supply. Chillies also stimulate endorphin production which means more fertility boosting, stress releasing, happy hormones circulate around your body. Plus, they’re also an excellent source of vitamin C which helps with iron absorption.
- Herbs: For centuries, herbs have aided in fertility by acting as a natural fertility medication. Since herbs can be highly potent, always ask a doctor before taking them.
- Chasteberry: This herb increases fertility by stimulating the pituitary gland, which is the control center for producing all sex hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Moreover, chasteberry also helps by balancing sex hormones.
- Dong Quai: This Chinese herb is very useful in menstrual problems. It also balances estrogen levels in the body and improves chances of implantation.