Using the Other 90% of your Brain

Whether or not the claim that we only really use between 5 – 10% of our brains is true, we know that we can always improve our mental well-being for purposes of increased focus, better sleeping and overall improvement in health and energy levels. I have found over the past three years that by changing my thoughts, meditating and entering into deep relaxation has allowed me to greatly expand my thinking, feel more optimistic and take steps to reach my goals on a productivity level that I have never experienced before.

What is interesting is that there are now many researchers and scientists documenting what meditation and relaxation can physically accomplish in our brains and how it connects within all facets of our bodies. Science is finally catching up to centuries old methods of how millions have approached a wonderful way of living, interacting and simply being.

One example of this research is found in this video, posted by the smart folks at Google in conjunction with Stanford University. Phillippe Goldin Ph.D, who is in the Department of Psychology at Stanford, is doing some amazing research into “Mindfulness Training.” Being funded by the NIH, he is proving – among other things – how meditation affects the mind and body through reduction of stress. What I find exciting about this work, is the opportunity to bring meditation and mindfulness thinking into the mainstream. No longer will this work be categorized as unproven, or even worse, something only men in robes do. Someone recently said that we are entering a new phase in human development, fully exploring the capabilities of the mind. I agree!

In this talk entitled “Cognitive Neuroscience of Mindful Meditation,” Goldin discusses how Mindfulness (as he defines it) is associated with stress reduction. He defines Mindfulness as using meditation practices to help you pay attention in a particular way without judging things as good or bad. He discusses what Mindfulness is NOT, such as being distracted, suppressing emotions, ruminating or avoidance. He helps us understand how we can put Mindfulness into practice for our own personal development. I highly recommend taking a bit of time to watch and learn – and then let us know what you think!

{ 5 comments… add one }

  • MRS.WALKER November 24, 2011, 11:01 pm

    is it true that humans cant use the other 90 percent of our brains
    cause if we did it would kill our brains and the us. thanks for your help

  • J January 26, 2012, 1:58 am

    It has been proven that the statement ‘We only use 10% of our brain’ IS NOT TRUE. Sorry to burst your bubble!!

  • Gate August 3, 2013, 8:11 am

    But I believe that the statement “We only use 10% of our brain” IS TRUE . Maybe not all , but base on their research , majority had been confirmed .

  • Gate 2 August 6, 2015, 5:06 pm

    I believe it is true, we only use 10 percent of our brain! Just look at the news or look outside, and see all of the violence and turmoil in the world…. Then ask yourself, how much of the brain do we use? I say 10 percent…….. The other 90% is accomplished through meditation connection with the SUPREME LIGHT! SHINE BRIGHT!!!

  • Prunella September 15, 2015, 3:37 pm

    I don’t think our heads would explode if we used more than 90 % of our brains. I also don’t think that from meditation we unlock the 90% that is locked, although meditation does help the brain to think clearly and make you feel good.

Leave a Comment